The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

look what i found in my turbo!!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif :mad:any one know what this is!!!!it was just sitting there when i took off the manifold i always knew the car should have been quicker! think this will make a difference in performance then!?

1941Galant

It looks like the ring that sits between the exhaust manifold and exhaust housing (on the little lip) to keep the gasket from blowing out.

Flip4G63

looks like the compression ring. stock cars came with that. it fits into that ring on the turbo and mani..

IIRC its called a compression ring. i could be wrong though.

looks like some one installed a turbo wrong. and smashed it down in there while tighening the 4 bolts.

cOmpressor

WTF MAN! That will hurt performance. Now you have to port the housing and trash that ring.

Last edited:

Terry Posten

Flame arrestor. Yes, blocks exhaust flow like bolting on a 1" exhaust pipe.

They should have never used those.

sixsixtwo

just think, every time your turbo spooled that piece of metal came one step closer to getting sucked in..

its been in there since i bought the car! so iv never felt the full potential of the 16g that was set at 20psi when i bought it and never felt quick! iv been spending a good bit of money trying to make it quicker,fmic,hard pipe,keydriver chip,they never made much difference,so I'm just waiting for my new manifold to put on and cant wait to take it for a spin! should be different car! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ktmrider

Good grief, at least you found the problem!
Mine was pokey at first too, found the original 1g mani looked like swiss cheese.
BTW I am in Ireland at the moment, planning to head west to Kilrush and Galway later this week for some family history exploring. Will hoist a pint or three of the Black Gold to your discovery...

steve

Holy hell you're lucky it stopped where it did!

G

Staff member
Fire ring ftw! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting Terry Posten:
Flame arrestor. Yes, blocks exhaust flow like bolting on a 1" exhaust pipe.

They should have never used those.

I don't know, I'm keeping mine in my stock car.

Terry Posten

I meant that it blocks the flow when it is down inside the turbo like that.

I would never reuse them. Do a mild port job on the output of the manifold to remove the old ring seat and also remove the ring seat on the turbo housing. Get a high quality aftermarket "thick" one piece gasket and you should have zero issues.

jepherz

Staff member
Yeah, you may be right with the stock turbo. I've just seen so many problems on a friends car (Obviously heavily modded) that I'm going to keep it in. Car won't be driven hard anyways. Of course, that's another reason why the gasket shouldn't blow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Polish

You can get the OEM upgrade 7cm ring. Someone on some forum with a 2g was very adamant about using one and he still went like 11.7@117 iirc with a Evo316g/Mani (Give or take a tenth/mph).

Can't hurt to have if you have an OEM turbine housing.

Once you go aftermarket turbine housing it obviously does not matter.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts